Everyone still above water?

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Everyone still above water?
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:16:30 -0700

Here we are watching the smoke from the Zaca fire 6 weeks later and what
do I see on the news but the rest of the country under water. Well
mostly anyway. Y'all still out there I hope, it's pretty quiet this
morning.
Tonight I'll be picking stuff to decide what I want to turn in to the
fair tomorrow morning. I entered paste tomatoes, eggplant, okra, green
zucchini, yellow zucchini, red onions, and four kinds of peppers -
Italian, ancho, anaheim, and jalapeno. I don't have ancho peppers, but
you can substitute so I might as well enter the pimentos. I don't think
I've got any eggplant worth putting in, and there's no okra either. I'm
not so sure about the paste tomatoes, they peaked early and I don't
think there's anything out there very good-looking at the moment, but
I'll check. I should be okay on the rest of it but I won't know till I
get a good look at the quality. I could bring in ten pounds of veggies
that I'd be happy to eat but is not pretty enough to enter. Ah well
that's why they don't charge an entry fee in this category, you really
don't know till the last moment if you'll have good stuff or not.
I'm thinking about my chores list for the weekend too. I'll start
dehydrating onions and try caramelizing some too, there's always weeding
to be done, and I should clean the pond filter (that's a good time, you
betcha). I might try to get husband interested in weeding the front
garden...he won't have to be quite so restrained this time, there are a
couple areas at least where I could tell him "Rip it all out except for
this one thing" and let him have at it.
Or if it's hot we might just sit under the tree with a couple beers, you
never know.

Cyndi