From: james singer
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Thursday, August 23,
2007 11:57:33 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Everyone still above water?

It is
awfully quiet, but then it's been a summer of strife and calamity
and idiocy,
not to mention the weather--and it's only mid-August. Maybe
burn-out has set
in... I sorta feel that way, exhausted from trying to
understand what is and
is not going on.

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95
CG/SCSRT wrote:

> Here we are watching the smoke from the Zaca fire 6 weeks
later and
> what
> do I see on the news but the rest of the country under
water. Well
> mostly anyway. Y'all still out there I hope, it's pretty quiet
> morning.
> Tonight I'll be picking stuff to decide what I want to turn
in to the
> fair tomorrow morning. I entered paste tomatoes, eggplant, okra,
> zucchini, yellow zucchini, red onions, and four kinds of peppers -
Italian, ancho, anaheim, and jalapeno. I don't have ancho peppers, but
> you
can substitute so I might as well enter the pimentos. I don't think
> I've got
any eggplant worth putting in, and there's no okra either. I'm
> not so sure
about the paste tomatoes, they peaked early and I don't
> think there's
anything out there very good-looking at the moment, but
> I'll check. I should
be okay on the rest of it but I won't know till I
> get a good look at the
quality. I could bring in ten pounds of veggies
> that I'd be happy to eat but
is not pretty enough to enter. Ah well
> that's why they don't charge an entry
fee in this category, you really
> don't know till the last moment if you'll
have good stuff or not.
> I'm thinking about my chores list for the weekend
too. I'll start
> dehydrating onions and try caramelizing some too, there's
> weeding
> to be done, and I should clean the pond filter (that's a
good time, you
> betcha). I might try to get husband interested in weeding the
> garden...he won't have to be quite so restrained this time, there are
> couple areas at least where I could tell him "Rip it all out except for
this one thing" and let him have at it.
> Or if it's hot we might just sit
under the tree with a couple beers,
> you