Re: green roofs

Donna, your site with the sod roofs reminds me that in the early 90s
some crazy Scandinavians built replica viking ships and set sail for
Newfoundland via Iceland, Greenland, and Labrador, as Leif must have
done it. Day-by-day NPR followed their progress. When they were about a
week out, I took leave of my job and drove to meet them at their
scheduled landing place, Lance aux Meadows, the reputed site of the
oldest European settlement in the New World [so there! take that
Columbus!]. The outpost, or village, at Lance aux Meadows has been
excavated and more-or-less reconstructed as it was originally built.
Here's a picture of a community building; it includes a common kitchen,
an iron foundry, an assembly room, and various other rooms of unknown
[at least to me] purpose. Scattered all around the common building are
individual living huts.

http://tinyurl.com/22dv33

The landing of the ship was quite an affair. The entry, the mouth of
the St. Lawrence, was full of icebergs, so navigating those cumbersome
arks must have been quite a chore. The president of Iceland, a woman
who's name I forget, had flown in for the landing. BBC, NPR, and any
number of European broadcasters were there, but I guess it wasn't
sordid enough to attract our commercial channel purveyors of gossip.

Oh yeah--a trivia answer: the first European born in the new world was
named Snorri. Gotta love it.

On Aug 25, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Donna wrote:

> Some time ago, we were discussing green roofs.  Noticed the article
> this
> morning -
>
> http://green.yahoo.com/index.php?q=node/1373
>
> Donna