Re: hum....

Insanely hot here today- thought I was going to melt! And it is going to be hotter tomorrow! Ugh! I haven't been out in the garden in ages, trying to get my house reorganized. I drug a bunch of stuff out to the curb to donate (they were supposed to pick up today) but they didn't come!!! So, I'll call again tomorrow- but it's got to go before I leave for TX again on Friday! What a pain. I did manage to drop the last load of stuff off at my ex's this evening and get all the keys back. One more thing off the list if stuff to do. On a gardening note, I have some bulbs coming up in the front garden- can't think of what they would be coming up this time of year. Kind of a mystery. My tiny coral tree actually didn't die last winter and now has some leaves : ). Everything is rather crispy- to hot and watering helps, but too much moisture is evaporating out of the leaves before it can be replaced by the roots. I still have tons of cherry tomatoes. On variety (some German one- Blonden... something or other- means "little blonde girl") is just not that tasty. Won't plant is again. All of the others are yummy. Jim's tomato is growing like crazy and seems to be impervious to everything. All the other plants near it have wilt (I really just need to give up planting tomatoes in that area)- but not Jim's plant. I do need suggestions of what to plant there instead of tomatoes. It is on a south facing wall- garden is about 4 ft wide- raised bed. Any suggestions?

Pam Evans wrote:
still hot & dry here.  i'm watering, whoopee.

Nice weather here, but still too dry.  Not as hot as predicted - only
78. I'd love to be out gardening, but of course this is the week I have an
indexing job, so can't play.
I was just out having a mild argument with Chet.  When the tree fell, it
took out the big old mountain laurel bushes beside the front stoop.  I
have been trying to decide what to put there, but Chet says he likes it
better with nothing - he likes the looks of the bare doorway.  I think it
looks much too stark - needs something leafy to soften it.  He said "How
can we compromise."  I said "By buying me a nice shrub to go there."

Jim, I've been meaning to tell you that the scarlet beans are really a
delight.  I have planted them in containers with Silver King Artemisia,
white caladiums, and white impatiens.  They provide just the right touch
of color.  They were also the hit of the "edible flower" workshop and
luncheon my club put on - really brighten up a salad. Thanks.  But
why, so far, have they not made any beans?  The blossoms just drop
off without making beans.  I had hoped to save seeds for next year.

In a message dated 08/28/2007 4:01:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,