Re: hum....

Ungodly hot here today! Didn't help that I had to travel between several schools and the car was like 300 degrees each time I got back in it!! Maybe grape hyacinth, but they look like they are going to be bigger than that. Don't have any naked ladies. We had a coolish spell a couple of weeks ago, so got lots of new green tomatoes started then, which are all ripening now.
For that space I'd like something edible- either fruit or veggie....

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
Yep, hot here too, although I think it will actually be hotter in the
valleys than here in the desert, they said highs up to 110 in the
valley. It was over 100 here yesterday, at least that's what I heard,
although I was inside for most of it. I did walk to a meeting about 1:00
but it didn't seem all that bad so who knows.
Your bulbs might be grape hyacinth, mine start coming up about this time
of year. Or naked ladies (either the amaryllis or lycoris), those have
leaves in winter.
I don't have much in the way of tomatoes right at the moment. Standard
tomato behavior here, all the fruit that set in spring is ripe and
picked, and there's very little green fruit because it's been too hot to
set. They will start again very soon and will be loaded with green
tomatoes right at frost. If I wanted to get a jump on winter cleanup I
would dig them out now, because I never use many of the green tomatoes;
but I probably won't. Optimism springs eternal you know and I always
think I will harvest the green fruit and make chutney or relish or
pickles or carefully store them to ripen. I won't, but I also won't give
up the idea that I might. I think there's probably a clinical term for
So what do you want for that space, more vegetables or something more
permanent? Or annual flowers?