From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:35 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OMG - it's weather!

Did you grow gourds this year Jim?  My dog planted some for me.  I
bought the seeds and was going to plant some, then walked outside one
day and realized that Kyla had torn open all of my seed packets and they
were scattered and/or eaten by her.  Great.  With the wet, wet spring I
just never bothered to plant them.  Kyle did.  She scattered them over
to a corner in the side yard and now I have four round gourds the size
of a basketball growing on my fence.  I turned them this morning to keep
an indention from growing on one side where they hang on the fence.
They are getting HEAVY.  They are cool.  I've never grown this kind

  I know the feeling. I went to the Fresno County fair one year and the
winner in the gourd division [or whatever] was a bushel gourd that could
have easily been called a 3-bushel gourd. It was as big as a nail keg. I
was consumed with envy. I scribbled down the exhibitor's name and city
and tried to find him/her, but never did. If I had, I probably would
have been arrested for gourd stalking.

On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> Look, up in the sky - too big for a bird, can't be a plane - no, they
> are clouds! Clouds by golly and what is that bright light? Lightning!
> And thunder! And - wait for it - RAIN! Okay so maybe it's only a tenth

> of an inch but there was definitely water falling from the sky, I can
> see puddles. Didn't rain on me of course, I think when you want it bad

> enough it goes somewhere else. But we must have followed it all the
> way into work.
> It is still pretty warm though and yesterday was just seriously hot. I

> got into the car after my lunchtime yoga class and I was really
> thirsty, decided to have a drink from the bottle of water I'd left in
> the car. I knew it would be pretty warm water but I actually scalded
> myself a little. Wow. We took the horses to our team penning lesson at

> 7:00 and we were all out there sweating like horses, and not much
> better at 11:00 when we got home. I don't know how you folks in humid
> climates can do anything.
> I am looking forward to 5 days at home starting tomorrow, although it
> is supposed to be hot like this so I don't know how much gardening
> I'll get done, but if I can't stand to be out there is still plenty to

> do inside.
> My new range will show up Tuesday. Husband has the entire next week
> off work and I'm steadily increasing the length of his honey-do list,
> although it's more of a suggestion list in truth.
> Our local paper had an article about the woman who has won the most
> points in the fair's garden competition for the last five years. She
> entered something like 82 categories!! I was consumed with jealousy.
> Of course if I were retired like her I could probably do that too
> (leaving aside the fact we now have other things to eat up our free
> time when we're retired) but, but, I can't help it, I'm jealous.
> Cyndi
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W