Re: OT wildlife

Sorry-it was the drowning that got me. That sounds too much like torture to me-terrible fear of it. Also, I grew up with a father that shot nuisance animals and was (is) a very good shot so they were gone instantly. Don't get me started on people freaking out about shooting over-population animals. We have a TERRIBLE deer problem on the islands here and most of the "newcomers" to the area go ballistic if you mention culling the herds by hunting them. So, because of that the majority of our deer are very small (literally some are the size of dogs), diseased, and starving. It makes me sick. I saw a doe at Hunting Island State Park last month that was so skinny I don't see how she was still standing. How is that humane? On Fripp Island, one of the local private islands, they started a sterilization program which has helped, but it's not enough and there are still too many.

See, I got started. I'll quit.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Browning" <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT wildlife

Skunks are a real nuisance here. Mostly because 1)the roaming dogs annoy them, 2)people leave their cat & dog food on the ground, 3)fruit trees drop lots of food on the ground 4)skunk population explosion due to abundant food
Almost every shed and outbuilding here has a population
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges" <andreah@hargray.com>