Re: moving an agave

First let me say, I know nothing about this plant!

But if they are anything like some of our natives here, disturbing the
tap root is the only way to kill them off. You can cut them down to
nothing, and they will grow back due to that tap root.

  I would try to save as much of it as possible .....

  Donna

james singer <islandjim1@comcast.net> wrote:
  I have to guess [because I can't seem to find any info] that it's deep-
rooted without much spread or lateral roots. If it is, the tap root
can likely be severed without ill effect if the plant is abundantly
watered until the tap root re-grows. They seem to be very persistent
growers; the tequila farmers regularly hack them back nearly to the
ground.

On Aug 3, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Theresa G. wrote:

> Hi all-
> I have a fairly large agave plant that I want/need to move and have
> no idea what the best method is. It is at least 4 ft across and 3
> ft tall (with really nasty thorns at the ends of its leaves). It
> has outgrown its current location, but I love the plant and hope to
> save it. What kind of root system do these things have? deep?
> shallow? wide? Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
> Theresa

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W