Re: moving an agave

Thanks Cyndi-
You are a plethora of information on agaves!
Theresa

Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
I found this (http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~agave/agave_gis05c.htm):
Like most plants, agaves have certain physiological features that adapt
them to a specific type of ecological setting. One of the most notable
features of this sort is their shallow, dense, and spreading root
system. In arid environments, moisture is the most elusive and,
therefore, most valuable resource. In the desert Southwest rainwater
appears and disappears quickly, evaporation rates are high given the
intense heat and near constant exposure to sunlight, and water quickly
runs off hard surfaces and seeps deep into dry soils. Agaves' shallow
root systems allow them to capture water most efficiently in this type
of environment when they are located above certain soil types.
And this
(http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/0,20633,1225868,00.html):
According to Mary Irish, former horticulturist at the Desert Botanical
Garden in Phoenix, agaves also make excellent container plants because
of their relatively sparse root system and their tolerance for crowding.
And this
(http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/demogardens/Agaveandyucca.h
tml):
The agaves have a relatively small root system and do well in
containers.

I can't say much based on my own experience because I've only planted
the little ones, and then gophers eat them the next year. But it didn't
seem to me that there was structure like a tap root after I dug up the
remains. Of course, since the roots were eaten there's no way to know
for sure.

Cyndi