Re: did you know

Unfortunately it seems that the research you are reporting on has omitted the
one drawback to South American bat guano...it contains high levels of an
extremely toxic chemical called perchlorate.  Interestingly enough,
perchlorate is also a common ingredient in ammunition manufacturing as well as
in rocket fuel used by the military and was also used as a storage medium for
the spent byproducts of nuclear weapons manufacturing (i.e. uranium and
plutonium). One of the  largest world exporters of bat guano at the turn of
the 19th century was Chile and Chilean bat guano is the only place in nature
where perchlorate occurs naturally.  All over the US there are groundwater and
deep level aquifers polluted by this substance that takes over a century to
break down into harmless nitrogen, oxygen, and carbons.  And once the
groundwater becomes polluted, it can leach into the soil above and around it.
Many of you may remember that our groundwater here in Hills, IA (pop. 679) is
contaminated with perchlorate.  EPA still has not nailed down a source other
than possibly the fireworks displays we do once a year (yeah, that's what they
say but hydrogeologist friends of mine on the West Coast dispute this claim,
stating that the declining levels of perchlorate in our water/soil indicate a
rate of decay that would point to a contamination far earlier than when these
displays started.)  Another very likely source of conamination could possibly
be Chilean bat guano as American farmers were heavy users of this as a
fertilizer well into the early half of the 1900's.  Because of the heavy use
of perchlorate by the military, much of the information about perchlorate is
difficult to track down unless you know where to look.

Blessings in Christ's mercy,

Melody

"I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which
God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in." ~George Washington
Carver