Vacation Blues

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Vacation Blues
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:01:48 -0700

Well I'm back. I was in the Sierras for a little over 1 day, spent two
days on the road. My sister's horse got sick the day after we arrived,
we hauled him to a vet an hour away - all sorts of horse meds applied,
didn't help - and when he got worse we were afraid he'd soon be too ill
to get in the trailer. My sister apologized to me about every half mile
during the trip home, but there weren't a lot of options .  We stopped
at her vet before getting home. He wasn't any help either.
Of course the horse started to improve the day after we got back. It's
all a mystery, it's not like he isn't used to travelling. But I think I
talked her out of shooting him. :-)
So anyway I looked at the veggie garden - husband had not picked
zucchini so I threw about six club-sized squash to the chickens. But
somehow in those three days about half the squash plants died. Not just
wilted but totally flat and crispy. Husband denies doing anything to
them. Hmmm.