Re: I give up!

Are you sure what ever is eating it all up isn't trapped inside the
garden area? Just wants to make you cry... or scream! Vent all you want,
we understand!

But it seems if it isn't one thing it's another. I am fighting Japanesse
beetles something fierce. Never had them this bad before. Must be all
the weeds around...

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
  My vegetable garden is a total disaster, and I just can't
fight it any longer this year. First the early peas were
eaten off just after they had begun to climb and make
flower buds. A few years ago we had had a problem with
woodchucks and dug a trench around the vegetable garden
fence and put chicken wire about two feet down. Well, we
found a hole in the fence and blocked it up. Things seemed
to be working well. Because of weather and much distractions
here, I didn't get much more started as soon as usual, but
had some nice early lettuce. Borage had reseeded all around,
and I got a blue ribbon on some at an early flower show. Then
I did get a couple of rows of beans in, which came up nicely.
I planted various other things, especially squash and sunflowers,
which never came up at all. I discovered that the chipmunks
that have holes under the mulch were eating the seeds as soon
as I planted them. But the beans were looking good, and I had
planted another two rows in a couple of weeks. When the first
beans were about a foot high and making blossoms, I went down
to the garden to find they and all been topped at about six inches.
The second row was just coming up, and had survived. I found
another hole where the old chickenwire had rusted away, and
blocked it up. Planted more beans, including pole beans all
around the fence. Then just when the third plantings were up
and looking good,the critters struck again. I don't know where
they are getting in now, but there is nothing left. They stripped
the borage plants to mere stalks - not a leaf left. The lettuce
bed looked as if it had been mowed. They hadn't bothered the
tomatoes, but today when I went down, I found that all of the
large tomatoes had bites taken out of them. The only thing that
is still growing are the onions, which have done quite well. But
at this time of the year I just don't see any point in trying to
get anything else going. I'll see if I can get someone to dig
around and put in new wire, but I'm feeling as if that's a futile
exercise at this point. Sorry to unburden my troubles on you
guys, but I'm really bummed out.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.