To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] succulents

Sorry to hear.  One would think just the opposite would happen though,
David. With the economy on the fritz and people tending to plant more water conserving landscapes, etc. I would have thought that a desert type nursery would do better than a rare plant nursery. The rare plant nurseries around here
are still bringing in the rare stuff, but they are finding  it harder and
harder, with the internet, etc. to keep the level of "rarity" to the standards they used to be. People don't find the usual rare plants to be as rare as they used to be. Also, as one nursery owner told me, he often can get much more on the internet through Ebay, etc. for his plants than he does in the nursery. People tend to pay more when bidding, than when shopping in person. A lot
more competition in rare plant nurseries around  here too, compared to in
remote areas (or areas with less availability) where apparently a lot of the Ebay
buyers are from.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/12/2008 5:52:57 PM Central Daylight Time,