From: james singer <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To:
gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:55:41 PM
Subject: Re:
[CHAT] succulents

Let me add what I think is another dimension to this. And
that is the
internet. Many collectors or officiandos of rare and unusual
plants do
a lot more swapping than buying. I can't tell you how many
requests
per week I get at Dave's Garden for seeds or cuttings of plants
I've
photographed. I've traded cuttings and seeds with people in India,
Turkey, Portugal, Australia, Spain, Brazil, New Zealand, Surinam,
Puerto
Rico, Israel, and probably other places I can't remember. The
web has made
this possible--you can consummate a swap in minutes, get
it into the mail in
hours, and enjoy the results in a few days--and it
will cost, max, $5-$6 for
postage.

On Aug 13, 2008, at 12:29 PM, David Franzman wrote:

> Hi Noreen
>
> I know exactly what you are saying.  What was once rare is no
> longer
really rare in the market place however the folks with money
> are quite

often the collectors who are willing to pay a premium for fine plant

material
> from reputable growers.  For the greater number of consumers who
> can't really
> tell the difference between a succulent and a woody shrub
they shop
> at where
> ever they can get the least expensive material in the
largest pot.
> Since the
> big box stores use plants as a lost leader to
bring in customers the
> smaller
> growers are really having a hard time.
Rare plants is one way they