From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:15 PM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Camera saga

My best camera is a Nikon Coolpix 8800. It didn't come cheap. So when
its autofocus mechanism quit working properly, I took it into a camera
store to have it checked out. The camera store is a local company--14
stores scattered from Portland to Eugene. They sent it to their repair
center and their repair center decided they couldn't fix it and sent
it on to a Nikon tech center.

Here it gets a little fuzzy. Nikon diagnosed the problem and said it
would take $200 to repair; I gave the camera store $200, and they told
Nikon to go ahead. When the camera was fixed, Nikon sent it back to
the store's repair center, which says sent it back to the store. And
then--here's the mind blowing part--someone, claiming to be me [or my
agent, we don't know which yet] show up, claimed the camera, and
walked off with it!

Amazing. Totally amazing! Methinks it must have been an inside job.
How would anyone know that it was there and ready for pick up before I
did? And the Coolpix 8800 is not exactly a common camera, the chance
of one being returned to a customer at any particular store at any
particular time is likely, well, rare in the extreme.

After a few serious discussions with the store manager, during which I
kept my voice low and well-modulated, I proud to say, they are going
to loan me a new Nikon D40 to use while they try to figure out what
happened to my camera.

Actually I'm not too unhappy with how it's unfolding. The D40 is a
skosh higher tech than the Coolpix 8800 and I've always wanted to test
drive one.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W