RE: salsa

If I'm canning, I use the one out of Putting Food By (don't have it with
me at the moment though). If I'm eating fresh, I like a basic pico de
gallo and I don't measure either, I just chop things until it looks
right.
Chop up a lot of fresh tomatoes...maybe two pounds? I always chop them
by hand, never use the food processor for fresh salsa. You could puree
them a bit if you like, you'll get more liquid that way.
Let them stand for maybe an hour or so and drain off the liquid. I like
chunkier salsa more than drippy salsa.
Finely chop an onion. Adjust the quantity to suit your taste and how
much tomato you have. You could use the food processor here if you're
careful not to puree it.
Roast and peel about six or seven Anaheim peppers, then chop them
finely. You can use canned peppers too.
Finely chop one or two jalapeno peppers. I seed them, if you leave the
seeds in it will be hotter. Adjust quantity to your taste. And watch it
here...the heat takes a while to penetrate through the salsa, so what is
relatively mild when you first taste it could be really blazing in a few
hours.
Finely chop one bunch of cilantro (you can definitely use the food
processor here). Optional - some people can't stand cilantro, but I love
it. Some people use oregano instead but to me it starts tasting like
spaghetti sauce.
You can add a tablespoon of cumin, if you like. I like cumin better in
cooked salsas myself.
About 1 tablespoon of salt, adjust to your taste.
Combine ingredients and refrigerate for several hours. Too hot? Add more
fresh tomato...not hot enough? Add jalapeno.

You can make a more cooked salsa by roasting the whole tomatoes in the
oven, put them on high heat until they sort of collapse, then peel and
puree them. You'll still have to pour off excess water. Then add
everything else fresh.

Cyndi