Re: White Bird of Paradise

It's hardy to 28-30 degrees. How about growing it up next to the south- facing wall of your house? Since they grow well in SoCal, and as far north as Sacramento, as well as along the Gulf Coast, I bet it will thrive in a Beaufort microclimate. [Two people in Beaufort have told Dave's Garden that they grow it--but I couldn't find anything specific.] Being 3-gallon, it will take a while to bloom--but will be well worth the wait when it does. If the flowers had stems, they'd be a florist's delight. Great plant; one of my favorite landscape "tropicals"--low maintenance, pest free. Leaves will tatter in high winds, but that doesn't seem to produce ill effects other than visual ones. It clumps, like a banana, but doesn't sucker or spread very fast.