From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 11:36 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Harvest time

Been a strange experience here for me this year, but I didn't know
what to expect and got started late to boot. Peppers, however, have
been a big nothing. We have one jalapeno bush and it has two peppers
about the size of serranos. I think next year I'm going to put black
weedmat around them and see if that will heat up the roots enough to
make them interested in growing. Everything else is doing well so far
if a bit late--beans are all producing and it looks like we may have a
few to freeze. Summer squashes are just beginning to fruit and will
likely give us more than we need. Winter squashes have set nicely. Our
odd salad plants--nasturtiums and rat-tail radishes--are producing
more than we can eat [so we'll plant fewer next year]. Tomatillos are
beginning to flower. Second plantings of cauliflower, carrots, and
beets are up. Vegetable gardening is the perfect example of hope
trumping experience, no?

On Aug 25, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/
SCSRT wrote:

> I finally managed to put up some produce from the veggie garden. About
> all I have left is peppers but at least there's quite a few of them. I
> picked maybe 10 pounds or so of bell peppers and made two weeks
> worth of
> stuffed peppers for dinner plus two pints of roasted red pepper puree,
> got that all in the freezer. There's still plenty out there too. The
> orange bell peppers are smallish but very pretty, the red bells and
> red
> Italian not quite as nice but still not bad.   I doubt I would have
> won
> anything with them at the fair even if I had entered, it's some
> consolation I suppose.  Maybe the orange ones would have gotten
> something.
> My chile peppers are weird this year. Nice looking plants with very
> small fruit. The Anaheims are about as long as a finger, but they
> should
> be six or seven inches at least. The ancho or poblano peppers are like
> big knobs, they didn't elongate much. The jalapenos look more normal
> but
> even they are about half the size of what I normally grow, they look
> more like supermarket chiles now.  Huh, some kind of deficiency in the
> soil I suppose. But I found a recipe for red chile sauce that doesn't
> require roasting and peeling the peppers, they're just too small to
> make
> that operation worthwhile, this way I can not waste them.
> Speaking of the fair we went Friday and their preserving entries were
> way down. I didn't enter and neither did another woman who usually
> puts
> in 30 jars at least, and  another of the perennial contenders only
> had a
> few entries. The garden produce section looked about the same though
> many of the names are new to me, usually it's the same 10 people every
> year.  Wasn't there some news articles about more people trying to
> save
> money by growing vegetables? I wonder if that translated into the new
> entries at our fair.
>
> Cyndi

Island Jim
Willamette Valley