Re: Harvest time

Well said, Jim.
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Harvest time

Been a strange experience here for me this year, but I didn't know what to expect and got started late to boot. Peppers, however, have been a big nothing. We have one jalapeno bush and it has two peppers about the size of serranos. I think next year I'm going to put black weedmat around them and see if that will heat up the roots enough to make them interested in growing. Everything else is doing well so far if a bit late--beans are all producing and it looks like we may have a few to freeze. Summer squashes are just beginning to fruit and will likely give us more than we need. Winter squashes have set nicely. Our odd salad plants--nasturtiums and rat-tail radishes--are producing more than we can eat [so we'll plant fewer next year]. Tomatillos are beginning to flower. Second plantings of cauliflower, carrots, and beets are up. Vegetable gardening is the perfect example of hope trumping experience, no?