Re: weird tomato

Dr. McKenney said she had never seen this either and wanted to know if you had cut it open to see if one of the tomato seeds had germinated-must be that's what it is if it was not split before. Keep us posted!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Maria" <marolsh@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weird tomato

I once cut into a store-bought tomato and found a couple of seeds has sprouted inside it. It wasn't over-ripe either, just had been sitting on the counter a while. Isn't the gel around the seeds supposed to inhibit sprouting?

It is stranger in real life!.....A few things about this... it wasn't
cracked when put on the counter, so what ever is growing made it do
that. (so I doubt a weed seed got embedded.) It also isn't over ripe-
basically still firm and in my opinion had a couple more days before it
was time to eat it. Something keeps stealing or taking a bite out of my
tomato's so I have been bringing them in and letting them ripen on the

andreah <andreah@hargray.com> wrote:
Donna-I sent your message and picture to my Hort advisor at Texas Tech-maybe
she'll know. That is weird and quite frankly a little creepy looking, or
maybe I've been watching too much of the scifi channel. I'll let you know if she gets back with me. Keep us posted on the progress of the alien tomato!