RE: odd question

Give it one of those horrible "butch cuts".  It will take a little time but
it will die.  If you just cut it down, you can take a chain saw and cut
into the stump.  Water will get in and it will soon rot.  My neighbor did
this on a tree he couldn't save...hit by lightening...now he has a very
healthy tomato plant growing in the mulch that was left.