Re: autumn planting....
  • Subject: Re: autumn planting....
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:09:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/2010 5:15:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@gmail.com writes:

> [...]

I hate to rush the season, but when I looked out the window this morning
I noticed that the dogwood leaves are definitely beginning to show red
color.  That usually happens around Labor Day.  I guess the extreme
heat and drought this summer has caused it, but I am concerned about
their health in general.  Dogwoods in this area did not bloom at all well
this spring. We are surrounded with them both wild and cultivated, and
usually the spring is spectacular, but there were hardly any blooms this
spring - not just mine but all over the area.  About twenty-five years ago
we lost many dogwoods to a fungus disease, but those remaining seem
to have developed a resistance to it.  The trees look quite healthy in
spite of the poor bloom and adverse climate conditions, but something
is making them turn color too early.
In contrast the Kousa dogwoods were outstanding this spring - I can't
remember a year when they had a heavier bloom.
Strange times....