RE: autumn planting....
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: autumn planting....
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:59:07 -0700

I was looking at bulbs in the Old House Gardens catalog, I might get a
few. I would like to try the oxblood lilies and sternbergia. Probably
won't buy any more plants until I get the front garden in better shape.
I don't do fall vegetables, I'll be ready for that garden to be over
with by mid-October. This week I am trying to line up a guy to mow the
lawns and do some maintenance so I can do other stuff, he is supposed to
give us a quote on Wednesday. I have been talking about this forever and
I really need to get with the program and get it set up.
We spent last week riding in the Sierras, around the Mammoth Lakes area.
Having horses is sure taking me to places I never expected to see. It
was spectacular...I said "Oh wow" so many times it was a joke. Coming
from the desert all the water and the greenery is amazing to me. There
were so many flowers blooming! Our last ride we went up up up on a very
high trail, riding along the slope of a mountain. We crossed numerous
small streams and you could see on the banks of each stream multitudes
of flowers - lupine, achillea, Indian paintbrush, larkspur, butterweed,
many more I don't know - rivers of wildflowers going down the mountain
for a thousand feet. I saw Artemisia growing wild, better than any I've
seen in gardens, there was lupine over my head, fields of
achillea...sigh.
Sadly I dropped my camera the second day, on rocks of course not the
meadow grass, and my husband's camera was having its own issues so my
pictures were not so good. I will remember it though.
So the whole thing made me wince a little to come back to the desert and
look at my area, this time of year everything looks burnt. Husband and I
have been thinking about where we might want to retire and mostly I have
looked at high desert climates (because I don't like bugs) but maybe I
will look at some places with a little more water.

Cyndi