Re: Summer hibernation?
  • Subject: Re: Summer hibernation?
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:36:59 -0400

If you dry them, you may want to do it outside. Onions can really stink up a place. It took us months to get all of the odor out of carpets and drapes from one marathon session we had.

If you're looking for a simple recipe for some of your sweet onions, we have 2 favorites. One is slicing them thin and slicing tomatoes fairly thickly, alternating slices of each and marinating them in oil, vinegar and herbs. The other is a slow roast on a grill, after coring them and putting some beef bouillon and a tiny bit of butter into the core area. We wrap them in foil and put them on way before the meat, and at a lower temp. You can do them in the oven, too. They caramelize a bit from the long slow heat, and the flavor combination is startling - kind of like the old fashioned caramelized fried onions that were served with steaks and burgers before they started taking short-cuts.

Pickled onion slices, and, as you mentioned, onion relish, are also great ways to use some extras. I've found that freezing them, alone or in combination as with onion soup, really flattens out their taste. They hold their flavor much better dried.

Sweet onions can hold for several months, as long as they're refrigerated, so I hope you'll keep some for eating fresh through the winter.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>