Hibernation still in effect
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Hibernation still in effect
  • From: "andreah" <andreah@hargray.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:08:57 -0400

Hi all-I'm just getting around to actually sitting at my computer in over a
week. Summer has been in full on mode here since mind-June. We almost broke
a record of over 45 days at 90 or above. Mostly ABOVE. The heat has finally
broken but the humidity is still in full swing. Last evening I finally went
outside when I got home from work, something I haven't done in weeks. The
aphids had attacked my Asclepius so I got out the hose.

Just an observation, the orange/yellow is blooming, but the pink/white is
still not. Seems to be a much slower growing plant. I find it interesting.

Rust, powdery mildew, and various other fungi have taken hold on many
things. This Saturday morning I'll get out the spray. It's too hot when I
get home, or it 's raining. August has been our wettest month so far. The
mosquitoes have started swarming so I can empathize with Daryl. I should
really own stock in Off or Cutter. I've started buying the kind they sell to
Marine Corps which has a lot more Deet in it. I'm sure I'll have some sort
of condition someday from using it. LOL!

Pam, how is your house?

I did not get the job with Valley Crest, they had one more person that had
more experience running landscape crews. So, there ya go. I sat down in the
floor of my office and cried. The recruiter asked me if they could keep my
resume, etc. I told him of course. Maybe someday I'll actually get to work
in the field I love. So that news made me want to hibernate even more. I've
decided I must have a new condition which I have named SSAD, or summer
seasonal affective disorder. It makes you want to stay on the couch, watch
weird movies, eat ice cream and pretty much do nothing else.

Apparently, it is rattlesnake mating season, who knew? My friend's dog got
bitten this week and had to spend the day at the vet. I've been
hyper-vigilant when walking with the dogs and out in the yard as I do not
want a $400 vet bill or to get bitten myself. And yes, I have walked the
dogs, but usually at 4:00 am. Do snakes come out at 4:00 am?

This morning I just didn't have it in me, so I thought I'd check in with all
you instead. Hope everyone is well, and that Pam's house is still standing.

Andrea