Re: Advice needed
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Advice needed
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:26:32 -0400 (EDT)

Unfortunately, Noreen, most of them say "no" and give me some stuff
about it's being on the Protected Plant List and can only be shown in
educational exhibits.  At least they get the point that protected plants
are not to be exhibited in competitive classes.

As for questions that are not covered in the lectures - I always sit in
myself, or if that's not possible, appoint a knowledgable master judge
to sit with a list of questions and answers just to be sure all points are
covered.  If I feel that one is not being sufficiently addressed, I will
ask
stupid-sounding questions until the answer is completely covered.
I make up the examinations myself, but from questions and answers
submitted by the speakers.  I want to be sure that the answer I have
on the answer-sheet is exactly what the speaker says, not just what
I think.  When I return the graded exams I always include an answer
sheet, thinking that if the student is interested, he/she can learn from
mistakes.  I often wonder if they really look at the returned exams other
than to see if they passed.

My opinion is that they somehow don't register on the "distinguishing
feature" aspect.  I don't always use "Cherokee Chief" as the example.
Sometimes I use another like Kalmia "Ospo Red" or some other such.
I just think "Cherokee Chief" is a popular one that these people should
know.  Oh well.  I'll keep trying.
Auralie

In a message dated 8/1/2011 4:10:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,