Re: Advice needed
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Advice needed
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 08:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hmmmm....  I figured picking up on the fact that it is Cherokee Chief  or
even Ospo Red, would be enough for a yes answer, considering that it isn't
the true species that is protected.  But since you said that most answered
no, then perhaps it's not enough emphasis on basic proper horticulture
nomenclature??  The genus plus the specific epithet.  Genus in Latin
capitalized, species in Latin, but not capitalized......followed by varietal  names
also not capitalized preceeded by  var.    Or followed by a hybrid name (in
modern language) which is always capitalized.  Cultivars (cultivated
varieties with distinguishing characters) written in modern language,  capitalized,
and in single quotation marks or followed by  cv.

Perhaps it is taken for granted that at that point everyone in the  class
should know this, when most don't????  I must admit that I was  foggy on
proper writing of varieties, hybrids and cultivars......but  could at least
recognize the difference between those and a true species in  names.  I was
surprised to find out that a few in our class couldn't.   So this might be the
same in your classes?

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/1/2011 3:30:49 PM Central Daylight Time,