RE: Sunset Zone 11 winter flowering annuals?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Sunset Zone 11 winter flowering annuals?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:51:14 -0700

No, I don't think winter petunias would make it where I live. Nasturium
is another cool-weather (our version of cool weather anyway) but I'm
sure it freezes. I'm trying to think of what I see around town because I
don't grow many annuals. And my neighborhood is more rural so you don't
see a lot of landscaping like you would in a tract home area.
I always liked Iceland poppies, they are very common in the winter in
the more mild climate I grew up in. Wonder if they would stand up to
frost? I tried them once out here but the wind beat them to death within
a couple days so I gave up.

Cyndi