RE: What's eating my tomatoes?
  • Subject: RE: What's eating my tomatoes?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:43:53 -0700

You sit outside in your lawn chair with a beer and a shotgun.  Although
you don't strike me as the beer type. Maybe a martini. :-)
We have killed off almost 20 ground squirrels this year by baiting a
live trap and then Jim dispatches them with a pellet gun. I think we've
managed to clear them out of the chicken coop and veggie garden area. I
know it isn't a solution that everyone would be willing to do. We won't
use poison, the dogs are no deterrent (they do try, but all we get is
giant craters), we can't fence them out, sprays don't work, and
apparently there are not enough snakes around to swallow all the young.
So it's them or my garden. And we'll be doing it forever, because in a
few months new ones will move in and it will start all over again.
The rabbits are smarter, they don't go into the trap; but they don't
seem to eat anything except the seedlings and I have been able to keep
more or less ahead of them with barriers of various kinds.
The only other thing I could think of is to garden in a climate
controlled greenhouse. Not sure I'd want to even if I could afford it.