crazy weather
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: crazy weather
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:03:42 -0400 (EDT)

I guess I'm the only hold-out from Facebook, but it still doesn't  quite do
it for me.

Have the rest of you been having a good summer?  It has been totally  weird
here.  In the middle of July we had a week of super hot weather - but
that's
what you expect in July.  Since then it has been cool - a week that  didn't
get above 75 and dropped into the 50s at night.  Then it warmed up a  bit,
but we're back into the cool weather. It is only 72 this afternoon, was  in
the 50s last night and is predicted to be low 50s tonight.  And this  is the
middle of August.

After an exceptionally floriferous early spring, many things are not
blooming.
The only thing that is doing well in my garden is beans.  The tomato  plants
are healthy-looking but one has no fruits, and the others have only two  or
three.  Squash plants - three different kinds - are lush looking, but  have
only
male blossoms.  Not a single female bloom or fruit yet.  I have a  very lush
morning-glory vine that hasn't a single bud.  What's going on?

I haven't been able to keep up with my usual gardening chores, so things
are
pretty much of a mess, but at least the wildflowers that have overrun my
garden
are colorful.  I have been slowed this summer by a diagnosis of  chronic
Lyme
Disease (I have struggled with Lyme for at least 20 years.  At least  now
they
admit I have it, which they didn't do for the first five years or so.).That
 added to
my 85 years have kept me from doing as much as I should have, but I  keep
going.

Here's hoping all of you have had good summers so far, even if this  climate
change is messing things up.

Auralie