Re: Re: Happy Birthday
gardenchat@hort.net

It's good to hear about another gardener who doesn't like bare space.
My front bed is a solid mass of foliage, and I love it that way.  From
season
to season different things are blooming, but there is always a cover of
different foliage patterns and textures.  Mainly several kinds of  hardy
geranium, which bloom beautifully in the spring, several colors of
epimedium,
also spring blooming, Pulmonairas, several ferns, including several  shades
of the Japanese painted fern, a low=-growing Spirea rosea that has  just
finished its bloom, three different Hellebores which were grand in early
spring and make nice green accents now, several mounds of Ruta  graveolens
which I mainly grow for the beautiful foliage, but which are making a  brave
stand of bright yellow flowers right now. and various other bits and pieces
 of
stuff.  You get the idea.  It all flows together and I love it  that way

But:  My daughter-in-law who is a licensed petroleum engineer and  makes
a six-figure salary for working four days a week so she can take long
weekends
to go skiing or whatever, looked at my garden, shook her head and  said
"Gee, you sure need some help to get this mess straightened out."

I guess it's just another case of beauty being in the eye of the  beholder.

I will add that I'm glad she can't see the prize in my garden this week -  a
spectacular Joe-Pye Weed bush about six feet tall and with many  stems,
full of bees and butterflies.  She'd say it's a weed and get rid of  it;

Auralie

In a message dated 8/7/2014 1:00:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,