Re: Hummingbirds in my garden
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Hummingbirds in my garden
  • From: "Catharine Carpenter" <1f73664e1@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:48:21 -0500

My warning is to ALWAYS keep your garage doors closed. If a hummer flies in, they cannot find their way out. Their only thought is to fly up, which is toward the roof of the garage, not the open door. I have had to go after the distressed birds with the net we use to clean the pond with, or, when they are really exhausted, our hands. One hummer I actually gave some sugar water to via a syringe, which I poked it's beak into, as it did not have the energy to perch on the rim of my feeder. At times, I think hummers give a new definition to the word "bird brain"!
Cathy, west central IL, z5b