Amaryllis??

ok, lets start a real garden chat to warm things up.
I've seen the amaryllis at Lowe's and have been soooooo tempted, but have
any of y'all nursed these pups along from year to year successfully?  I am
seriously tempted.  I'd feel like a better plant mom if they came back the
next year. I know they are sort of disposable, but you know how that is..
LOL! I've been dropping hints like crazy but I'll bet no one gets me a 4.99
amaryllis.  <sigh>
-Peg in Va *luscious* zone 7 (grew up in snot freezin' zone 5).