RE: Bromeliads

Bromeliads are pretty much houseplants in Z5 and I think they're really neat,
but haven't had one in eons. Might like to give it a shot again sometime.  My
understand (please correct me) is that they flower once and die.  Of course
they do put out babies all around, so you can look forward to them having
their day to glow, though you may have to wait a few years.  The reason I
haven't bought another one is they usually sell them in flower -to show them
at their best.  But knowing this shall soon pass I feel sort of cheated of
part of the process, like watching it emerge.  If I buy one not in flower, how
do I know if it has already completed the cycle or not?  Something for me to