Re: inaugural message? now deer

The local deer herd is growing and seems to double every year after the
fawns drop in May-June. This year they discovered peonies and defoliated
them, fortunately after they bloomed. They have since moved on to salvia,
astilbes, primulas, and Artemisia absinthium (wormwood). When I walk the dog
in the morning, I frequently see a herd of 9 to 12 beasts coming right up to
my neighbor's house. Perhaps she feeds them.

This past summer they even invaded my deck and ravaged my containers, so it
has become very personal. I confess I take a measure of satisfaction in the
heavy snow that is on the ground and shows no sign of melting. Since hunting
is prohibited in the community and there are no predators hereabouts, hunger
will have to take its toll. Fencing is not the answer; 4 feet is the maximum
permitted, and that's like a "welcome" sign to them.