Re: moss

> From: jim singer <jsinger@igc.org>
> marge, as you know, this is not exactly moss country. but what
about moving
> that rock one wants moss to grow on to a mossy place? if ever the
moss is
> established on the rock, might it not have an increased chance of
> when the rock is moved to wherever it may be that the moss grower
> moss? [can't belive i wrote that ;>) heeheehee]

Actually, (I think, if I read you right) yes, that does work, given
that the conditions where the rocks you want moss on are the same as
those were where you lifted the mossy rock.  (Why is this topic
creating such convoluted sentences?)

At least, I assume it will work for rocks.  I have done exactly this
with moss growing on bark and, after about 3 years, I see that the
spore are germinating and growing on the logs where I wanted it
to...I moved sections of mossy bark next to and on top of logs I
wanted moss on...

This is not a fast process...like I said, it's take about 3 years for
this to happen on the wood.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :