RE: Deer, now furs and whatever

most of this stuff is mysterious to me. always has been. i've never had much interest in killing things that were not raised specifically for that purpose--a steer, a lamb, a hog. and even then, i've had more interest in killing marauding dogs [who wanted to kill the steer, the lamb, the hog before i did] than in killing the animals i raised for meat.

i had the hide tanned of the last steer i slaughtered. i had it tanned with the hair on, just like they tan minks for coats and ocelots for jackets. i use it, hair side down, as a blanket in winter. it's wonderful; it's warm but not hot. i am glad i raised that animal and when it's cold, i remember him with the fondness that develops between man and beast. and i do not feel remorse.