Re: moss/now orchids

this sort of propagation occurred to me because that's pretty much how i've moved native orchids from one live oak tree to another, by gouging out a bit of infected bark on one oak tree and "gooping" it to another oak tree. first thing one knows, the transplanted orchid pup has extended its roots over the goop line and affixed itself to the new host.

one of my personal missions is to infect as many live oaks as i can with the native orchid i discovered a couple of years ago. it's a beautiful flower that does no harm to its host, and--from the nursery's point of view--adds value to the oak trees.

At 08:07 PM 12/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
> From: jim singer <jsinger@igc.org>
> marge, as you know, this is not exactly moss country. but what
about moving
> that rock one wants moss to grow on to a mossy place? if ever the
moss is
> established on the rock, might it not have an increased chance of
survival
> when the rock is moved to wherever it may be that the moss grower
wants
> moss? [can't belive i wrote that ;>) heeheehee]
----------

Actually, (I think, if I read you right) yes, that does work, given
that the conditions where the rocks you want moss on are the same as
those were where you lifted the mossy rock.  (Why is this topic
creating such convoluted sentences?)

At least, I assume it will work for rocks.  I have done exactly this
with moss growing on bark and, after about 3 years, I see that the
spore are germinating and growing on the logs where I wanted it
to...I moved sections of mossy bark next to and on top of logs I
wanted moss on...

This is not a fast process...like I said, it's take about 3 years for
this to happen on the wood.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade