RE: chilling bulbs

I'd suggest trying a small test the first year your friend gives you the
used bulbs.  Don't put a lot of work into them until you have experience to
base it on.  And be sure your friend has allowed them to yellow.  People
who throw bulbs out normally would not bother letting them die back
I'm in a totally different climate from you so I'm just basing this on
things I've read.  Not only do your bulbs need a chilling period, but they
also need an appropriate dormancy.  Tulip bulbs should not be allowed to
get too hot in the summer when they are dormant.  They don't like being
above 70 degrees for any length of time.  I don't know what your soil temp
8 inches down is like in August.  They also like a dry dormancy.  Too much
moisture can do them in.  If I lift bulbs after they die back, say in july,
I place them on screens under the house where it is cool and dry until
October, then replant or give away.