Re: moss

 Marge:  We started our first experiment with transplanting moss this past fall...had to re-dig a bed to make room for more plants and disturbed quite a nice colony of moss in the process, so I dug through all the piles of dirt and rescued as much of the moss as I could and then when we finished the new beds, I put all the moss back that I could.  Am hoping that since it was not moved far from it's original spot, if at all, that it will favor me with regrowth come spring...Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Wed 12/11, Marge Talt < mtalt@hort.net > wrote:From: Marge Talt [mailto: mtalt@hort.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:19:43 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] mossWell, I've always been a bit doubtful of the success of this method. Have not tried it, but I spent many years in totally futile effortsto transplant moss from parts of my gravel drive (damp, part sun,clay underlying soil) to the edge of a shady border where moss wasalready growing nearby.  It always died, no matter how I babied itand watered it - the nearby 'native' moss in the "lawn"flourished.....  My singular lack of success in this endeavor, I later learned fromreading Schenk's Moss book, was probably because various species ofmoss have fairly specific requirements about where they willflourish.  You cannot, for instance, take a piece of moss from asunny spot on a rock and expect it to grow in clay in the shade.(tried that, too)Moss spore is in the air all around, all the time, in about allclimates (except maybe Antarctica).  If the conditions for its growthare right, it will grow, whether you want it to or not (hadflourishing colonies on our old cedar shake roof where I did notreally want it).Now, if you find moss growing somewhere and have the same conditionsin your garden (i.e. soil/rock, moisture, light), your success intransplanting it will likely be a lot greater.I have moved clumps of moss growing on nodules of clay from one placeto another with success by lifting the entire nodule of clay:-).My feeling is that if you have rocks you want moss to grow on, yourbest bet is to keep them constantly moist and wait for some spore toland:-)However, I would like to hear from someone who has, personally, usedone of the blender methods and had it work and had the moss surviveover a good period of time. Also, since I acquired the Moss book, I have wondered about the fewplaces who sell moss for people to start moss gardens.  On the fewoccasions that I've bought a moss, I've managed to kill it.  Doesanybo

dy have any experience with buying in potted mosses and havingthem survive in the garden?Marge Talt, zone 7 Marylandmtalt@hort.netEditor:  Gardening in Shade-----------------------------------------------Current Article: Wild, Wonderful Aroids Part 3 - Amorphophallushttp://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/shade_gardening------------------------------------------------Complete Index of Articles by Category and Datehttp://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html------------------------------------------------All Suite101.com garden topics :http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635----------> From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>> > Another, simpler, recipe calls for a handful of moss, a can of beerand a> 1/2 tsp of sugar.  Buttermilk may be used in place of the beer.Spread 1/4> inch thick and in 5 weeks moss begins to grow.  The author of thisone goes> on to describe a method of growing it in removable sheets as well.> > Kitty---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT