Re: Deer

 When we went on vacation this past summer to S.Dakota, our biggest disappointment (the only, actually) was not getting to see a bull elk...saw plenty of females and young but no bulls!  Hopefully on our next trip there we'll be more lucky.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12, Linda  wrote:From: Linda [mailto: lja@direcway.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:42:11 -0700Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer> Linda:  One of our nursing supervisors paid $450.00 for an elk license inWyoming to hunt with a friend of his who lives out there...that's the costof one out of state elk license that permits a hunter to take just one elk.Poor fellow, though, spent a week hunting morning to night, before hefinally did get his elk...Expensive way to go about getting food, I'd say.:-)  Melody, IA (Z 5/4)>Well, don't tell him someone just gave us elk meat then!!  But you see whyhunting for meat isn't for poor people.  Actually he got off prettycheap--if he'd had to hire a guide or go to one of the ranches that havehunting camps, he could have paid a lot more.  I think a lot of hunters gettheir enjoyment from the week of roughing it in wild country more thananything else--getting the elk just gives them an excuse to be out there.Don't know what in-state licenses are going for now, but it's a whole lotless than an out-of-state license so his friend got his meals for a lotless.  For myself, there is something really regal about an elk--I couldn'tkill one.Linda in Wyoming---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT