Re: Re: [GRD] Re: OT Christmas tree

Thanks for the info Linda.  I'll check it out.  Have not looked for lights in
a long time, since I have become accustomed to having the reg. white lights
now....which are also used most often now in Germany also by the way.

An apple house is a house like structure made out of fresh apples and
inbetween to hold it together...twigs or carved sticks.  Four apples on
bottom, four on top and one in the center a bit higher for the roof.  On the
bottom of the house, a doily was placed, or a bed of straw or fir branches.

It was used in Germany/Bohemia/Austria before Martin Luther introduced the
use of the Christmas tree.  Back then the houses were built with very thick
walls,  with double windows that included a space in between as wide as the
walls (approx. a foot or so).  This is where they often put the baked goods
to cool, bottles of wine to chill, and occasionally potted plants.  During
the advent season, the children made these apple houses which were placed in
this window space.......the Christkindl  would come and leave fruit and candy
to those that were good.  If one was bad Krampus would come to leave lumps of
coal.

Christmas goose or duck.....whatever one had and their preference.  My
grandparents much prefered duck over goose......and Trout over Carp.
I'm sure that traditions differ geographically as well......although it is
interesting how similar traditions are between countries....especially
bordering countries.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast