RE: Re: question for you Jim; xanthosoma

No problem Jim. Just didn't think many would be interested.

I learned about this plant on another list. Seems it is used for the
roots as a food crop overseas. It also comes from south Florida where
these crops are grown. It happens to look a lot like a taro, actually
more interesting from the pictures that were displayed on that list.
They are saying you can buy the roots that will grow into a plant for 10
uscents a pound. So I thought.... hum... I could buy a lot of look alike
taro's for that price. But I need an American soil source! Anyone ever
heard of this? I would think it was the blue taro, although they
referred to it as malanga.

Which BTW a black taro around here... very small plant, one set of small
leaves... is in the neighborhood of 25.00 a piece... quite a difference
in price for me.

Donna