Re: Re: [GRD] Re: OT Christmas tree

 Noreen:  I think the Christmas pickle is a German custom--the Amana Colonies here in Iowa are a sect of German immigrants from the 1800's and it is a custom widely practiced (or at least marketed now that the Amana's are largely a tourist industry) there.  We have a little tiny glass one (about 1" long) that we hide for the kids on our tree...they love the hunt!  And the extra goody they get for being the first one to find it!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12,   wrote:From:  [mailto: TeichFlora@aol.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:54:51 ESTSubject: Re: [CHAT] Re: [GRD] Re: OT Christmas treeDavid, I'm sure your grandparents did bring back traditions, some of which you might even practice.Found the pickle tradition very interesting.....do you happen to know what country your friends are from???  Have to ask mom about this, she is a sponsor for eastern European students at the DLI (Defense Language Institute) in San Antonio.Any more interesting traditions anyone has done???Noreenzone 9Texas Gulf CoastIn a message dated 12/12/2002 2:34:17 PM Central Standard Time, dfranzma@pacbell.net writes:> > Noreen that was great.  Very interesting.  I wish I could recall my > grandparents> traditions if indeed she brought them back here from Berlin.  My > grandfather was> Pennsyvanian Dutch and his family came here as Hessian soldiers.> > We have very good friends who harken from Eastern Europe who hide a pickle> ornament in their tree and on New Year's Eve there is a prize for the guest > who> finds it.  Lot's of fun.> > DF---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT