Re: chilling bulbs

In a message dated 12/12/2002 7:40:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lja@direcway.com writes:

> I saw a garden show about two sisters in Louisiana who had moved to their
> grandmother's home and revived her narcissus collection, even got their
> little town to have some kind of daffodil festival every year, and they
> sell
> bulbs.  Don't recall the name of the sisters of course, but it was clear
> that are a whole lot of narcissi that thrive in warm humid climates.

When I was growing up in the Florida Panhandle many years ago my grandmother
had a border of paper-white narcissus all the way along one side of her yard
- must have been 150 feet long and three feet wide.  It must have been there
for many years to get so thick and lush.  I can remember her picking over a
hundred stems for some event, and you would scarcely miss them.  Paper-whites
are marginally hardy in this area, but I grow mmore than 30 other varieties.
I suspect that the paper-whites are the ones that do best in mild climates.
Auralie