RE: Wildlife Christmas

 Linda:  Wow! That sounds beautiful. Do you think if you asked Chris really nicely, he would let you post a picture if you can??  I'd love to see that...And if that's not a collection, what do you call it?  I know the HGTV folks consider a collection anything grouping of related items that contains more than two things... :-)

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12, Linda  wrote:From: Linda [mailto: lja@direcway.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:08:18 -0700Subject: [CHAT] Wildlife ChristmasWe don't have much in the way of Christmas traditions, but I did startsomething a few years ago that I've really enjoyed, and that's a wildlifeChristmas tree.  I started noticing ornaments of various animals for saleand thought they would make great decorations, and that has turned intosomething resembling a collection, though I'm not big on collecting anythingother than plants and bird sightings.Anyway, I don't take animals with clothing or riding in cars, but I do haveboth realistic and stylized animals from all over the world and out of allkinds of materials.  It seems there are more birds and fish available thananything, but there is everything from insects to panda bears to reptiles onthe tree.  They come in blown glass, cloisonni, ceramics, paper mache,copper, natural fibers, lacquered straw, even fabric and beads.  I have aset of very realistic duck ornaments from Ducks Unlimited and some veryrealistic glass trout.  There are great native American ceramic pieces, andothers from African, European, South American, and Asian countries.  I haveAmerican buffalo, armadillos, bears, and moose.  There are African lions andtigers and elephants.  I used to get really bored with the shiny glass ballsand tinsel, but to me this tree is fun to look at and is almost a miniatureart or craft museum.  Plus it reflects our family's interest in both art andwildlife, so it is very much 'our' tree.  Other than the animals, all thatis on the tree are glass icicles and this year I added some fun fiber opticlights.Linda in Wyoming---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT