Re: OT: degree sign

Marge Talt wrote:
What it is, is that you may have an email program that lets you
compose in HTML, so you see the degree sign, but it won't show as
what you intend in ascii text.  As far as I know, there is no way to
add special symbols to ascii text:-)
I think I have to take issue with that; as I said when I tried,
I sent my sig (since edited to remove degree) to myself and back
with no trouble. I have my prefrences set _not_ to send HTML.
Have you never seen degree signs emanating from other people/lists ,
such as ALPINE-L ?

I tried sending my OT message to the AHS list, to test the hypothesis
that the translation takes place either by the list processor
(Majordomo vs. Listserv) or by the machine it runs on (maybe Solaris,
maybe NT, in the cases of gardenchat vs. AHS). Unfortunately,
_I_ never got back my original posting from gardenchat, though I
suspect everybody else did, certainly David and Margaret. Presumably
it's awaiting Chris' attention ? _Nor_ have I got the thing back
from the AHS list, did anybody ? AHS frozen again :-( ?
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W
USDA Zone 7