From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Scottie Baugh
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 10:46 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Houseboat Gardens; now Boating Christmas Tradition

I'll have to take a look.  In our part of the country, there aren't too
many houseboats; mostly sailboats and motor yachts.  The sailboats don't
usually have room on deck for plants (although I sometimes put them on
our foredeck under the awning in the summer), and the motor yacht owners
probably have gardeners to take care of their plant needs at home :^)

Seriously, in our area there are approximately 7,000 boats.  Except for
the live-aboard owners, most boats are seldom used.  We get lots of
people for occasions like the Christmas boat parade, the Fourth of July
fireworks, and Mardi Gras in Galveston, but otherwise there are many
neglected vessels on Clear Lake.

I wish I had photos to share of the parade Saturday.  There were
probably 60 to 70 boats on parade, and the decorations were spectacular.
My favorites were a motor yacht decorated to look like a choo choo
locomotive (not a real one, but one from a children's book), complete
with wheels of chasing lights that looked like they were going round and
round -- you could hardly see the boat for the lights; a sailboat with a
full sized Santa, sleigh and reindeer swinging from the mast, bow to
stern; and a small ski boat disguised as a Star Fighter from Star Wars.
My husband's favorites were a bi-plane, and a small fishing boat with
three "Singing Sumo Santas" on the bow.  The fishing boats and the
shrimpers string lights from their outriggers and outline all of the
equipment on deck; I've been told that the working boats started the
boat parade tradition many years ago.

The Christmas boat parade has been a boating tradition in every area
we've visited.  Also, many boaters hang lights from their mast top and
along the lifelines -- some are very ornate.  And real traditionalists
hang a fir branch from the mast top.  We do a little of both -- lights,
and a live wreath decorated with nautical ornaments on the bowsprit.
This has become our Christmas tradition.  Some of the marinas are
wonderful to see on a winter evening.

Scottie