Re: Deer hunts

Also most interesting, Melody.  It would seem to me, that if the goal
is reduced population, then an extension of the season makes sense.
I'm not sure why deer hunting has always been a fall activity, unless
it started back before refrigeration and the cold weather was needed
to keep the meat from spoiling.

I can understand the reluctance to permit even controlled hunts in
highly populated areas...all it takes is one kid getting shot to
create havoc.

If controlled hunts are not the answer, I wonder just what is...and
this is a problem that needs a resolution, not only for our own
personal gardens, but for the health of the remaining deer herds and
the continuance of our woodlands, whose survival is going to depend
on reducing the deer depredations.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
>  Marge:  I think that as Ceres points out, this unnatural method of
herd control is not cheap...it takes a lot of coordination and time
to pull off one of these controlled hunts.  Also, although our county
did manage to cull somewhere in the neighborhood of a few hundred
deer, the darn little buggers breed faster than one hunt can keep up
with each season.  I have hunting friends who believe that two deer
seasons, a fall and a spring hunt, might help reduce the population a
little more effectively, but there again, you are talking about
money...One of the other reasons we have not had much luck  in terms
of long term success, is that it is very difficult to convince a
community to let sharpshooters take deer within people populated
areas (which is where so many of the deer/people problems exist in
the first place), so most of our controlled hunts take place in more
rural areas, like the major county/state parks in the area...My
husband says he thinks the county has decided n!
>  ot to do a controlled hunt this year and return to investigating
other options, too.