RE: Deer

There's a real key issue hidden in the 2nd paragraph - we are developing the
habitat that used to support the population.  When we lived in Rockland
County NY we had a significant population of deer that lived in the woods of
the college next door.  Sightings were relatively rare.  Garden damage was
very near zero.  They came in the fall to feast on the apples that fell from
our 2 apple trees, for which I was grateful since they did a fine cleaning
job.  Then the college decided to build more dorms and parking lots.  Guess
what, as a side effect, the deer were displaced.  They had no home and no
food.  THEN, over the course of less than 2 months, we had a deer PROBLEM.
Not before.

The problem we have in the east may not truly be as much an increasing deer
population as a dramatically decreasing habitat.  The population that was
supported by the habitat is no longer supported by the habitat; we end up
with more deer in less space.

Now it is true that the overall deer population is increasing, but I believe
it is the more rapidly decreasing habitat that makes the problem  worse.  We
need to address both issues, and one of the very difficult parts of the
whole scenario is that part of the overall problem is the ever-growing human
population, on national and global scales.

Libby
Maryland zone 6